Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lansing Legislator Sprint Tri Race Report

Lansing Legislator Sprint Triathlon
2011-08-07
Laingsburg, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
85F / 29C
Overcast

Triathlon - Sprint
Total Time = 1h 09m 45s
Overall Rank = 8/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/

Event warmup: A quick dip in the water and lots of jaw jacking with teammates and friends who I hadn't seen in a while.
Team Motiv8 was in full effect today!

   Swim Comments: I jumped my ability from the gun to the first buoy, but did well staying with the appropriate pack once I settled in. I'm learning the draft! Unfortunately those who I was drafting also knew how to sprint the last straightaway and they left me alone. Great swim for me!
What would you do differently?: Starting out hard worked well for me. This swim wave/group was all the men for the sprint race and the last wave of the days events. Lot's of competitive people swim at the front of the group... I may have faired better starting farther back, but I had fun trying to keep up with the real swimmers.

T1 Comments: Quick, but not as quick as others... picked up 11 places in T1.
What would you do differently?: Solid T1, no complaints.

   Bike Comments: Lots of fast cyclists out here today! Several avg 23mph. I'm very happy with my performance and I feel it was a solid effort. Matches my faster speeds from last year on comparable courses (training). 
What would you do differently?: I feel good about this bike.

T2 Comments: In retrospect I could have been a touch faster but I'm happy with a 44 second T2. I rode my bike in towards the dismount and did a partial dismount until I hit the line. Running the bike into T2 there was a guy who forgot which side his rack was and he cut me off, I almost lost it and fell over. All I did was laugh - could have been me.

What would you do differently?: Good - but Craig pulled a sub 30 second T2 :)

   Run Comments: Almost a double out and back. Kind of sucked, but it was short and you got to keep seeing/passing the leaders which is an absolute motivator to run harder. A big benefit was that they moved the run from where it was last year - which is now a loose gravel road.
What would you do differently?: Wasn't as fast as the Motor City Tri earlier this year, but I felt like I gave it a good go today!

Post race
Warm down: Nothing special - water. Forgot to bring along Fluid, though I remembered the bottle.

What limited your ability to perform faster: I feel good about this race. If I were focusing on short distance tri's I could be faster on all 3 disciplines.
Event comments:  3D really has picked up the pieces to organize a much better race than they had in the past. Plenty of volunteers and a well marked course. The run ended up a little long, but no big deal. I'm happy to do a well run race when it's in my back yard.

No comments: